After years of research, new devices and procedures have been created to obtain natural results by transplanting tiny grafts that include 1-2-3 hair, which is placed extremely close together, into the scalp. It has been discovered that hair develops from the scalp in follicular units, which are clusters of one, two, or three hair follicles grouped.
A follicle is a hair follicle. A follicular unit is a clump or a bundle of hair connected. Hair is found in groups of one, two, three, or four inches. The balanced proportion varies from patient to patient, but on average, there is 2.2 hair per unit. These units in transplantation result in denser and more natural-looking outcomes.
Thus, follicular unit hair transplantation is gaining immense popularity recently. As a matter of fact, the Hair Transplant Market in 2019 was estimated at USD 5,612.89 million by the research study. According to recent research, the market is estimated to expand to a value of USD 25,116.67 million by the end of the forecast period. Let us know what exactly is follicular unit hair transplantation (FUT) and why it is gaining so much recognition?
What exactly is FUT hair transplantation?
After measuring your donor site density, a strip of sufficient length and breadth is constructed to go from one ear to the other ear (backward). This strip is designed to provide a fair number of grafts while also allowing for a simple closure procedure.
For the transplantation, a strip of skin is removed from the back of the head under local anesthetic and divided into grafts, which are then implanted. These transplants are then used to reconstruct additional body components. The harvested portion is stitched back together, resulting in voluminous hair.
Below we are going to answer some common questions asked by patients:
Which method is used to dissect the grafts?
They are dissected under microscopic vision so that the follicular units are not damaged during the procedure. While doing so, they are placed in a PRP solution to guarantee the longest possible survival.
What is the procedure for closing the donor site? What is trichophytic closure, and how does it work?
The donor site is closed in two layers with absorbable sutures so that there is no need to remove the sutures after the procedure. It is a specific form of suturing process. The top edge of skin overcomes the lower edge, allowing hair to grow through the scar and making it less evident in the long run, resulting in less visible scarring.
Is the scar going to be visible permanently?
A thin line will form around the scar with correct suturing procedures and trichophytic closure, making it almost undetectable with a regular haircut. Treatment from reputed clinics such as follicular unit transplantation Baton Rouge based Anti-Aging Center will make sure to complete the procedure with minimal to no scarring.
Who is a suitable candidate for a FUT procedure?
Mostly men having enough hair on the scalp are considered suitable for both FUT and FUE transplantation. Other than this, men with androgenic alopecia are considered highly suitable as they will be able to use the graft for the procedure effectively. Apart from this, women who suffer from loss of hair might often encounter the Ludwig pattern i.e. hair loss along the hair part or thinning at the top of the hairline. If you are experiencing hair loss due to a medical problem such as thyroid disease or alopecia areata, FUT surgery is unlikely to be a choice for you.
What is the cost of a FUT hair transplant?
Some of the things that might influence the price are as follows:
- The amount of hair that has been transplanted. Usually, the majority of the clinics charge based on the number of hair follicles transplanted, although other clinics charge a flat rate.
- The experience of the surgeon, of course. The cost of the surgery varies depending on the clinic and the physician’s level of expertise.
- Location. Various clinics in some cities may demand a higher fee for FUT surgery than others.
- Travel expenses are incurred. If you need to travel for your procedure, you should include travel fees in your budget.
Pros & Cons of FUT hair transplantation
Finally, let us evaluate if it is recommended in general.
Pros of FUT hair transplantation
- It is more precise, and there is less harm to the hair since it is dissected under the microscope.
- It does not need the trimming of the donor area.
- It is less expensive than FUE.
- For subsequent sessions, it leaves the remainder of the scalp unaffected, which means that the total number of grafts produced is higher in the long term.
Cons of FUT hair transplantation
- It necessitates the placement of a stitch on the back of the head, which must be present for two weeks.
- FUE is more painful than amputation.
- It creates a linear scar on the scalp if the hair is entirely shaved off the head.
For those whose hair is beginning to go out in noticeable patches, hair transplantation may be possible. The effects are deemed permanent because you can’t reverse a hair transplant.
Even yet, it doesn’t imply that the results of your hair transplant will remain the same during your whole life. Follicular unit transplantation Baton Rouge-based clinics are known to provide the most premium services for a risk-free and effective treatment.